We did some training today. As part of that, we stopped where they do the Sweet Water River crossing with the treks. The rope is for the local priesthood leaders of the group to stand for safety, if the kids go over the river when it is fairly high. This is a sacred part of the trek, so needs to be prepared for as it is too easy for the people to just play in the water an lose the spirit of that great act of sacrifice of the four men. Their willingness to give their lifes for others, is a token of that of the Savior, but without the power or universal impact.
This is a picture of one of the posts for the missionaries to man. The point of this picture is that there are about twenty mule deer behind the dude in the hat. We have seen thousands of Antelope, but these are the first mule deer we've seen. We have seen some white tail deer and a sand hill crane in this area as well. While the weather was sunny and relatively warm for what we have been having, it was still coat weather or freeze solid.

Holy macrel. What a hot missionary I found standing in the road. Do not know what she wanted, as I am to stick with my wife while out here. She just happened to be where one can look at Martin's Cove in the back ground. As you can see, there was a gentle wind blowing, but not much for here. We spent most of the morning up in the Cove and had a great learning and spritual time while there.
Holy macrel. What a hot missionary I found standing in the road. Do not know what she wanted, as I am to stick with my wife while out here. She just happened to be where one can look at Martin's Cove in the back ground. As you can see, there was a gentle wind blowing, but not much for here. We spent most of the morning up in the Cove and had a great learning and spritual time while there.
This is a post that designates the historic Oregan, Calfornia, Mormon and pony express trail. The post has a designation of each one of these trails on a side, so all four sides represents one of the major trails that came thru here. You can see the ruts and the old swale made in the topography by the five hundred thousand people that used it in the twenty or so years that it was the major highway to the west.
very cool... or cold shall I say. What a neat place. I believe I would enjoy being there, but I suppose the luxuries of life would begin to call to me. Love you guys, you look great! Glad you are there :) Barb and kids
ReplyDelete